While controversial corporate decisions can vary based on individual perspectives and opinions, here are ten notable decisions in 2021 that have generated significant debate:
1. Facebook’s decision to uphold its ban on former President Donald Trump, following the Capitol riot.
2. Amazon’s efforts to block the unionization of its workers at a warehouse in Alabama.
3. Apple’s implementation of its App Tracking Transparency feature, which allows users to opt out of targeted advertising.
4. The decision by Major League Baseball to move its All-Star Game from Atlanta to protest Georgia’s new voting laws.
5. ExxonMobil’s shareholder battle over board seats and focus on environmental performance.
6. Robinhood’s controversial temporary trading restrictions on GameStop and other meme stocks during the Reddit-fueled trading frenzy.
7. Tesla’s investment of $1.5 billion in Bitcoin, raising concerns about the environmental impact of cryptocurrency mining.
8. The European Super League announcement, a failed attempt by twelve top football (soccer) clubs to form a closed league, leading to backlash from fans, players, and governments.
9. The decision by governments worldwide to temporarily suspend the use of AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines due to rare cases of blood clotting.
10. Boeing’s agreement to pay $2.5 billion to settle criminal charges related to its troubled 737 Max jet’s safety failure.
Please note that controversial decisions can be highly subjective, and other incidents may also be considered significant based on an individual’s perspective.